To be a high-value, high-impact experimentation program, you need to ensure experimentation works for all departments in your company.
That means the best A/B testing tool is the one your company will actually use, even as requirements evolve.
Based on hundreds of conversations with optimization, marketing, product, and DevOps leaders, we narrowed down the essential features every type of team needs to experiment successfully.
The result is a list aimed at mid and enterprise-sized companies who want a solution that works for every experimentation use case inside their company, from increasing conversion rates on landing pages to testing software on the backend.
To be considered one of the best A/B testing tools for all teams, the solution must offer:
- Web and full stack A/B testing features, e.g., graphic editor, JS/CSS/HTML code editor, updated client and server-side SDKs
- Personalization, e.g., advanced segmentation and targeting capabilities
- Feature flagging, e.g., the ability to gradually roll out/back features based on rules, scheduling, and KPIs
- Bi-directional integrations with major vendors in critical martech categories, e.g., analytics, CDP/DMP, automation, consent, CMS, and email
- Compliant with American and EU privacy and security regulations, with built-in consent management
- At least two years of market presence
If you are new to experimentation or do not plan to have a dedicated A/B testing program in the near term, but want to launch basic A/B tests, then there are free or simpler solutions (e.g. for landing page optimization.)
We also do not feature specialized tools that only offer one experiment-related solution, e.g. feature flagging. To work for all teams, you need to do it all.
Finally, tools that separate web and personalization and full stack experimentation into separate products that feature two user interfaces and different data models are not included.
Trying to cobble together multiple experimentation solutions to support each type of team is not only expensive, it often leads to a failure, which is why we’ve made this list.
4 best A/B testing tools for all teams
Evaluated A/B testing solutions not included per the criteria
Adobe Target: The testing solution is highly dependent on additional Adobe solutions to work properly for all teams i.e. it is not meant to fit into a best-of-breed tech stack.
A/B Tasty: Only offers client-side experimentation and some personalization.
Flagship: Only offers full-stack experimentation and feature management.
Google Optimize and Optimize 360: Neither platform offer feature flagging or advanced personalization. Google Optimize does not offer server-side testing.
Convert: Does not currently offer full stack experimentation or feature flagging—Convert Full-Stack is in Beta mode.
Kameleoon is a top A/B testing tool because it is one platform with three solutions and experimentation features for all teams. Companies can choose one, all, or a combination of: Web Experimentation, AI-powered Personalization, and/or Full Stack Feature Experimentation & Feature Flagging.
If you’ve dedicated your career to experimentation, you’ll find advanced features at Kameleoon. Or, if you’re just starting out or are a generalist marketer, you’ll find it easy to use. It’s made for companies that want one A/B testing solution that can work client (graphic and/or code-based) and server-side (via SDKs), has open APIs, fits into each team’s martech stack and delivers on high-performance standards.
What you won’t hear: While a market leader in Europe, Kameleoon is a relatively new entrant to North America, UK and the Nordics. Most of its 700 clients are large European brands who have stringent data security and privacy in addition to A/B testing standards. The company has long focused on R&D and less on product marketing.
Kameleoon notable features
- To support product-led growth teams and the demand for backend testing, the solution makes server-side experimentation easier. Kameleoon Hybrid lets growth, product, and engineering teams build server-side tests using their preferred client-side tools and customer segments without having to use a developer, which saves everyone lots of time.
- Kameleoon combines LocalStorage with a unique server-side snippet that not only overcomes current Intelligent Tracking Prevention (ITP) but also keeps visitors properly bucketed in A/B tests up to 365 days.
- With Sample Mismatch Ratio (SRM) measures, bot detection, a Custom Attribution Window, open APIs, and Bayesian and Frequentist reporting methodology, Kameleoon helps experimenters trust the accuracy of their results.
- Kameleoon’s single server call, built on an “asynchronous blocking integration” that combines synchronous and asynchronous approaches, is fast and guaranteed flicker-free.
- The only 3rd party split testing tool that lets users pull in segments stored in Google Analytics (GA) for targeting purposes.
- Kameleoon is the first A/B testing platform to offer real-time streaming, a type of architecture where the server pushes information to connected clients whenever content has changed. No delay.
- Kameleoon is HIPAA-compliant and BAA-ready to keep all visitor data secure.
How is Kameleoon priced?
Pricing starts for sites with 250,000 monthly unique visitors (MUVs). Licenses include unlimited testing and user seats. The list price for a site/app with 250k MUVs is $30,000/year. The company offers a special rate for startups. To get a price or to request a trial, ask for a demo.
Optimizely is a top A/B testing tool because it is the most widely recognized and used experimentation solution out there, offering a deep package of advanced features and documentation. At its prime, Optimizely was synonymous with experimentation as a practice.
What you won’t hear: It’s not the same Optimizely today. Since it was acquired by the formerly-named Episerver, innovation has slowed. Plus, Optimizely now aims to become an all-in-one “digital experience suite,” which for some experimentation teams means it’s no longer singularly focused on experimentation. This is especially notable for product managers and developers as the practice of feature experimentation grows. Performance questions regarding SPA compatibility and customer support dog the tool.
Optimizely notable features
- Strong brand awareness.
- Optimizely uses its own statistical model for statistical significance called the Stats Engine, letting users make business decisions on results as experiments are running, with no peeking error.
- Brands can buy enhanced page load speed performance via Optimizely’s Performance Edge. It speeds up page load speeds by performing targeting and variation assignment tasks in the network instead of in the browser.
- The "adaptive audiences" feature uses machine learning to enable users to create predicted intent audience conditions for visitors who are most interested in specific topics instead of relying on explicit targeting rules.
- Offers complex mutually exclusive experiments and exclusion groups when building segments.
- Rich user manual documentation.
How is Optimizely priced?
Optimizely plans are custom-made for enterprise clients on a case-by-case basis and depend on whether you want Web Optimization, Full Stack, or both. For some time, it was rumored that Optimizely wouldn’t sell a license for less than $100k/year. With the acquisition, that may have changed. Request a demo to receive a quote.
VWO is a top A/B testing tool because it offers the core features that many SMB teams need in their A/B testing tool, often at a lower price than the other solutions on this list. With a low-cost model, free trials, and tiered solutions, SMBs and cost-conscious companies can start testing anywhere quickly. The company sells heatmap tools, test management solutions, and more.
What you won’t hear: All those solutions (at the time of writing, VWO had six solutions on its platform) means VWO can suffer from performance problems. It takes multiple server calls to fully deliver one experiment client side, for example. Plus, with all those solutions and tiers, frequent overage charges are not uncommon. Note that VWO customer support is entirely based overseas.
VWO notable features
- Relatively lost cost. Thousands of SMBs rely on VWO.
- Marketing teams value its visual editor and overall UI, which is built to support graphical changes.
- VWO offers a set of marketing and UX tools besides A/B testing on one platform, including heatmaps, recordings, forms and surveys. The offering can appeal to SMBs that may not have or want to integrate with other best-of-breed solutions.
- SmartStats is a Bayesian-powered statistics engine, similar to Optimizely Stats Engine, that gives users additional metrics and recommendations.
- A GPT3-powered AI copy generator enables you to create variations for your website and ad copy to test against your existing copy quickly. Again, this is a feature VWO built as a low-cost alternative to other dedicated AI-copy tools.
How is VWO priced?
VWO splits up their various capabilities, e.g. web testing, Full Stack, personalization, into separate products and tiers based on available features to support custom-made pricing plans. Translation? It’s complicated. The bare minimum web testing option starts at several hundred dollars a month. Look out for the fine print, as clients get charged based on traffic, seats and features.
SiteSpect is a top A/B testing tool because it has a unique way to serve A/B tests to visitors. Rather than deploy its features using a snippet or with an SDK/API, SiteSpect uses a "reverse proxy solution" to sit in the flow of traffic between users and the server to execute content changes. There are pros and cons to this approach. It can help side-step some performance challenges e.g. page load speed drag and single-page application (SPA). On the other hand, by living between the browser and the company’s server’s, SiteSpect can create complexity challenges that other solutions do not face.
What you won't hear: SiteSpect's user interface is not beginner-friendly. Companies that rely on SiteSpect will need heavy developer involvement, especially when it comes to integrations, to take advantage of the features that differentiate it from other solutions. If relying on developers less is important or making experimentation easier for all teams, then SiteSpect may not be the right choice. The default license packages limit the number of integrations to 1 (so if you want to integrate with a CDP and a web analytics tool, you’re unable). The number of user seats is also limited to 5, unless you pay extra. See pricing below.
SiteSpect notable features
- Origin Experiments, which rely on SiteSpect sitting between the browser and the brand’s servers, serve digital experiences without any third-party code being added to the site.
- Because SiteSpect sits between your servers and the browser, it claims to handle SPA challenges and SEO concerns more successfully than other tools.
- Users like its Find and Replace feature, which lets users find an element and have any changes to that element be applied everywhere.
- If page load speed is the absolute deciding factor, then, because of its unique proxy setup, SiteSpect offers a fast way to serve A/B tests.
How is Sitespect priced?
Sitespect offers two solutions: client and server-side. You can combine the two. The client and server side solutions offer 1 integration with your martech and 5 user seats. The number (and price) increases if you go with a “custom” plan, which is meant for enterprises. Pricing is not disclosed. Request a demo, being sure to think carefully about how important your martech stack and number of user seats is to your organization.
Building an impactful experimentation program—one that senior management values—requires using an A/B testing solution that fits into best-of-breed martech stacks, scales, and lets each team focus on achieving their goals.
Whether you’re an ecommerce brand testing headlines, calls-to-action and checkouts to drive more revenue, a service provider that wants to build credibility with optimized messaging, or a software company seeking to make the most intuitive solution with useability testing, your A/B testing tool should enable you to run whichever experiments you need.
To find out how Kameleoon is one A/B testing solution that lets your whole organization, from product managers to marketers, work together to optimize and test customer experiences, request a demo.